10.26.2010

Motivation is like an "A" in Biology...

... I don't have it. And my poor grade in Biology is probably in part because of my lack of motivation. I'm a psychology major, and while I absolutely love learning about psych-related things, all of these unrelated gen eds are killing me. Especially my principles of Biology class - not only do I despise most of the content in the class, but it's also at 8:00 a.m. three days a week. (Need I say that I've missed several classes?) Granted, my grade in the class is not quite as low as I anticipated it would be, but it's still lower than I'd like. And then of course, there is my composition class, which is simply ridiculous. Ask me why - I dare you. You may get an ear-full.

Lately, I've had very little motivation to do any of my coursework until the night or so before it's due. (Currently, I am procrastinating a psychology paper critique that's due tomorrow at 3:00.) Luckily, I've seemed to eventually get it all finished, if only in the nick of time. With all of the new social and other opportunities presented in college, it's hard to keep focused on schoolwork when necessary. My last post was about how important it is to take time to step back and do little things for yourself to relax, so this may seem a bit contradictory. But I've learned (and yet, not completely practiced) that it's really all about balance.

There's a balance between schoolwork and social time, procrastinating and over-achieving, doing nothing and doing everything you want to do. Eventually, I'll hopefully find a happy medium, but for now it feels like babysitting multiple new kids for the first time. They're all different ages and need different amounts of attention and care. You try to sit with one and color, and realize the others won't sit still. Then before you know it, you're chasing them all down, trying to get them under control. Even when you get them semi-calmed down for lunch, you have to check and re-check what they're allowed to have. You don't take breaks, save a nap or two when you still must be aware - just like college: you have a few weeks off during the year, although you still have to keep up with your assignments. Maybe that metaphor was a stretch, but at this point I'm burnt out enough to not care.

What things have been the hardest for you to balance lately?

Ah well, we're making memories I suppose. And I just know they will be amazing ones.
Lord willing.

No comments:

Post a Comment