10.22.2010

Relax, take it easy

Step one - make a playlist of mellow songs to fit the setting. Step two - put on some warm clothes. Step three - combine the previously stated steps with a cold night and a lake begging to be walked around and sat by. Relaxing around Cedar Lake at night is probably one of the most cathartic things I've done in a while. It was a simple thing I figured I could do for myself after a long (albeit, for once, enjoyable) day. What a good way to get out of the dorm, away from the computer, far from responsibilities, and out in the fresh air.

I think that sometimes we forget to do little things for ourselves. Especially those of us in college. (Yes, I know that there are tons of men and women that have jobs, families, bills, and responsibilities bigger than ours.... but give us a little credit - we're new to this whole "being an adult" thing.) We can get so wrapped up in trying to balance our 16/17 credit hours, heaps of papers, organizations we've joined, extra-curriculars, social lives, relationships, jobs, etc. Too often, we may even neglect to throw sleep into the mix. (For example - I'm writing this at 1:00 in the morning!) I think it's necessary and healthy to stop, take a breath, and just back off from time to time. Back off from whatever it is that's causing you stress and worry. Now, I'm not saying neglect your commitments and responsibilities and let them fall by the wayside. That's just as bad as the counter-option of taking on too much and stressing to balance it all! But every once in a while, take a few minutes or hours of a day and do something for yourself.

  • Take a walk.
  • Listen to your favorite songs.
  • Call a best friend, family member, or someone you haven't talked to in a while.
  • Splurge on a favorite treat.
  • Take a comforting nap.
  • Watch a really good movie.
  • Go for a run to clear your head.
  • Make a video - on your own or with some friends.
  • Take some pictures.
  • Read a classic book... or just some really good fiction.
  • Catch up on your favorite show - that's what Hulu is for.
  • Knit something.
  • Doodle.
  • Write some poetry.
Or do anything else that makes you happy. Anything will do.
Just take time for YOU. It won't make you selfish. What it will do is keeping you from losing your marbles.

"Self-love, my liege, is not so vile a sin, as self-neglecting."
-William Shakespeare

No comments:

Post a Comment