While deciding on a title for my new blog, a few clever things came to mind, as they quite often tend to. However, also as normal, I was listening to my iTunes on shuffle at the time. "Dificil" by Juanes started playing, and one of the powerful, held-out lines is simply, "...Y quiero gritar." For those of you who may not remember much from that high school Spanish class, or, like myself, simply weren't taught much in high school besides how to ask where the bathroom is... (Thank God for Washtenaw's language classes!) ...the lyric is Spanish for "and I want to scream."
Now, why would you want to name your blog "I want to scream"?
I thought it fitting, because there really are so many times that I feel the need to let out a scream from the depths of my soul. I feel that the majority of times I remember most vividly would have been so appropriately accompanied by crying out in such a way. And, at least in my mind, they were.
For example, this afternoon, I was listening to "Come What May" and "Your Song" from Moulin Rouge. There are parts in both of those songs where you can hear the intense passion in Ewan McGregor's voice - one that just cannot be matched. During those times, I simply wanted to scream. I've always felt songs. When they're passionate and filled with emotion, I can't help but be overtaken by them. I could hardly hold in the pure rapture I felt. Similarly, whenever something happens in my life that brings me unadulterated joy, I don't want to hold it in. Were it not for the expectation of tact from others, perhaps I wouldn't even try.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, there seems to be even more of an abundance of painful events in life. Those times when I want to break down and cry. Those times when not only does my heart ache, but along with it, my entire being. Those times when I want to curl up under the blankets on my bed and shut myself off from the world. Those are also the times I want to scream. Out of anguish. Out of sorrow. Out of pain. Out of anger.
Therefore, I decided on Quiero Gritar. Love it or hate it, second thoughts or not, that is what it will remain. I'm often told that it's best to hold to first instincts, not that I'm very good at taking advice. But perhaps I can scream vicariously through this blog.
Until we meet again...
No comments:
Post a Comment